Una lengua natural es el archivo adonde han ido a parar las experiencias, saberes y creencias de una comunidad.* – Fernando Lázaro Carreter
Quotations occupy an interesting place in language learning. Even native speakers can’t possibly be familiar with all of the famous quotations spoken in their language, but studying them can help you gain insight into Spanish-speaking cultures while also practicing reading and learning new vocabulary and grammar. Plus being able to recognize or, even better, quote Cervantes or Allende will definitely earn you a round of compliments from your amigos españoles.
Spanish Quotation Websites
- BrainyQuote – Spanish expressions in shareable images
- Citas y proverbios – organized by topics
- Frases de hoy – Daily Spanish expression, plus indexes by topic and author
- Proverbios – Spanish expression of the day, option to receive by email
- Refranero multilingüe – Dictionary of Spanish expressions, from Instituto Cervantes
Spanish Quotation Apps
- 1000 Frases y mensajes en español para compartir (iTunes)
- Dichos y Refranes Gratis (Android)
- Frase del día (iTunes)
- Frases de motivación (Android)
- Frases y Refranes (Android)
- Refranes y dichos populares. (Android)
If you have a favorite Spanish quotation site or app, please share it in the comments.
*Translation: "A natural language is the archive where the experiences, knowledge and beliefs of a community are stored."